Thursday, September 2, 2010

And the packing begins...

It is just like me to wait until the last minute. This evening Mom said "You do realize you leave in 30 hours right? When are you going to pack?" I have been "packing" all summer, but it mainly consisted of making piles in Mom's stamp room of things that I would probably need for my 4 month journey, but didn't want to put into a suitcase because I might want it before my departure. Tonight I decided to pack. Pack for a semester (15 weeks) in Shanghai, China.  Pack for an adventure I have yet to realize is right around the corner. Pack my life into 2 suitcases. Pack for 3 seasons. Pack for the unknown. Tonight I packed. 
I am going to be spending 15 weeks in Shanghai. When I arrive the weather will be a hot 90〫and humid and when I leave it will be around 30〫and wet. This requires a lot of planning you see. I can barely figure out what to wear to work each day let alone decide what I will need for 4 months... I had myself convinced that I would be able to fit 4 months of my life into a single suitcase. I was wrong. While on the phone with Chris one night I weighed my suitcase, which was only 3/4 full, and it was already 15 lbs overweight. Darn. My one and only melt down of the preparation portion of the journey. Me = meltdown, Chris = totally calm "take 2 suitcases."
As you can see, he is usually right. I managed to comfortably fit everything into my 2 suitcases. Everything except for Joei who thinks every packed bag means a trip she gets to go on. 
So I am packed and I will be leaving on a jet plane in less than 36 hours. I will soon be beginning the biggest adventure of my life. 
Ready (or not), set, go!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I am so proud of you jumping right into life and the experiences that it can hold. You be safe and I love the blog. I will be checking it everyday as I do with the one that is being written for Chris's adventure. Love-Aunt Alice

    ReplyDelete